Saturday, August 4, 2007

We Visited the Filadelfia Coffee Plant!




























































































On Thursday, my new friend Elizabeth and I and of course the babies went on a tour of the famous Filadelfia Coffee Plant. It was breathtakingly beautiful. I feel so fortunate to be able to see all of these sights! In fact, I think this place is in the book titled, "100 places to see before you die!" This might not be the title exactly - I think I might have the number part wrong! Anyway, we began our tour with Carlos (the guide) around 1:30 who picked up the 4 of us at our front gate. The plant itself is only about 20 minutes outside of Antigua. We also toured the plant with one other family of 4 from Israel who are also here visiting. They were a great family and pretty much it was just the 8 of us there. I think we saw only 2 other parties the whole day. Carlos spoke perfect English and interestingly enough, we were able to learn a little Hebrew as well with the Dad from Israel translating the entire tour to his daughter! Carlos took us literally on a 5 hour tour of the plant and showed us every step from the little coffee sprouts, to the actual plants with beans, to the shelling area (did you know that coffee beans have 3 layers of skin?), then the sun drying area, to the shelling area again, and then to the roasting. At the end, we sat down in a little outside restaurant overlooking a gorgeous view of the hillside and we were given two cups of the best tasting coffee I think I've ever had. Sorry, Starbucks! It was also interesting on this tour to learn that the entire school system in Guatemala is geared around coffee bean picking season. I believe he said that all schools shut down from October to January so that the entire family can make more money bringing their children to help. Families are paid by the weight of the beans they pick so you can imagine with a few extra hands, you'd have a lot more beans and ultimately more money. Carlos told us that the average family in Guatemala makes around $500/month. Can you even imagine? During the coffee season however, families generaly earn I think he said $4-5,ooo so a little more for this time. He said their particular plant pays a little higher than the other 90 plants they have in Guatemala. I had no idea how many coffee plants were in Guatemala. So, next time you are having second thoughts about spending a bit more money at Starbucks for your Grande cup of coffee, think of how many little hands had to pick the beans to make your cup and you might think twice. It's incredible, isn't it? Let's see. What else is new. We're still waiting on our missing document and photos. It is so frustrating, but there's really nothing we can do right now. If they're in the mail, then they'll arrive sooner or later. Worse case scenario, we have to send more pictures and get a new police clearance for Chris. Problem is, it still needs to be authenticated at a US consolate here in Guatemala and this is what appears to be the hold up now. So, let's just add another month, why not?!!! Blake is still as happy as ever and is growing every day. I can't even imagine how big he'll be just after a month or two of me being gone. I can't even think about this right now so let's move onto another subject once again! We are now down to 11 days until Aunt Melaine arrives! It will be so fun to show a family member the beautiful as well as strange sights of this city (for example men pulling over their cars on the side of the road to urinate- that's an interesting sight). Blake is now into pulling and eating my hair while he rides in the backpack seat which is quite fun with, might I say, 4 BAGS OF GROCERIES NOW?!!! Am I Wonderwoman or what?! Just kidding. I have to admit I had to stop about 3 times on the way home from Bodegona today to rest. I just couldn't do it! The other hilarious thing about Guatemala is that if your baby is the least bit fussy, they immediately diagnose what's wrong - "oh, he's hungry, has he eaten?" No, actually I don't feed my baby. Or, "he's cold. Feel his hands and feet." If Blake doesn't have sweat dripping down his hair then he's cold. I just smile and say something silly to them in Spanish and they usually laugh (or call me a weird Gringa after I leave)! I've heard that one yelled a few times! Hopefully I'll have news about the arrival of our stuff on Monday. Please cross your fingers that it is this week at least! We love you all and hope you're all well. Enjoy the coffee plant pictures! Oh, the first picture of the plant is actually the hotel that cost $250/night to stay. In front of it (the large looking patio) is actually the area that they sun dry the beans before they're roasted.
P.S. Have I already said that I have never been happier in my life (than when I got married of course) Spending time here in Antigua with my baby is as good as it can get.

0 comments: