Friday, November 30, 2007

Still in PGN after Previo #2 - It's Home in February, 2008

It's a little bittersweet posting this entry tonight because although we don't have any good news (in fact it has gotten worse), we have to stay positive for the fact that Blake and I are here together as a team.  On December 4th my mom arrives to visit for 12 days and then Chris comes so we can count on all being together for Blake's first Christmas.  

So the latest news is this.  After 3 hopeful trips to PGN, we've only been disappointed with the results.  We were told during the second trip, from Barrios' assistant, that she would request our file to be expedited.  She did do this, however Mr. Victor Barrios declined.  Since we have had 2 previos for our attorney's mispelled last name, it has put us back another 8 weeks starting on Thanksgiving when we got the second one.  We have tried everything in our power to not have to wait 7 (now) more weeks now to be signed, but nothing has worked.  Therefore, we are counting on being signed and OUT (we can't wait to say this word when the time comes) of PGN on January 17th.  This will be exactly 8 weeks from November 22.  If we get signed earlier, it will be a complete miracle because Barrios will be signing out of the goodness of his heart (which we're not sure he even has).  On Monday when I arrived for the 3rd time with our facilitators, Barrios walked by me as I sat in the lobby.  At first, he turned to me like he recognized me (from the meeting with him before) and for a minute it looked like he was going to say something.  Wishful thinking on my part because he didn't say a thing and kept on walking.  When he returned and walked past me again, he wouldn't even look at me.  Nice.  Oh well.  I have done everything I can and now all we can do is sit and wait - once again.  If we don't get signed until January 17th, it will have been almost 5 months in PGN.  I have heard of longer times believe it or not, so I guess we can't complain.  
So Christmas, 2007 will be celebrated Latin style!  It will be an experience we will never forget, that's for sure.  We have been told of beautiful festivities that go on in the town and just the fact that we'll be together as a family will be amazing.  I am actually starting to look forward to it.  I think the month of December will fly with both my mom and Chris here therefore making January 17th come that much faster.  If we are lucky, we will be home around Valentine's Day or a little after.  I will be extending my leave at work until March or so now, but will have to take unpaid family medical leave because my paid sick leave ends on January 7th.  This might get a little complicated, but we'll make it work I'm sure.  
Blake continues to grow and change daily.  His big boy haircut truly makes him look like he's already 1 and every Guatemalan in town swears he's 1 anyway and not almost 10 months (on Dec. 7).  Every day I hear, "Cuanto tiempo tiene?" (how old is he - this is how they ask here) and then when I say, "Casi 10 meses" they gasp and say, "Whoa, muy grande nene."  Yah, whatever.  He's normal sized for the U.S.  It's just because everyone is used to seeing tiny babies here (even though I've seen some huge ones)!  This and staring are just little pieces of our day here in Antigua.  Today, Amanda (my roommate) and I went to Hyper Paiz which I've mentioned before is like a Walmart.  We love it because we can go once or twice a month and get necessities we can't always buy in town like formula, baby nail clippers, normal brand shampoos, and decent clothing.  We brought Maya only (Blake and Aleeyah stayed with our house nanny) today to make the day a little easier.  As we walked through the food court you could've sworn that two ghosts had just entered the room because for some odd reason today, EVERYONE stared at us!!  Yes, we are blond and brunette and speak Spanish and have a Guatemalan child.  It just cracks me up because in the states this is considered so rude and we just don't stare like this at people.  We just continue to smile and brush it off.  I have to admit it gets a little hard to take after awhile.  Anyway, I'm not sure why I got off an that tangent.  I also loaded up on Christmas decorations, tree lights and a garland for my new apartment!  I will move in on Monday as I decided I missed my roommates too much now to leave on the weekend.  So, hopefully the next pictures I post will be of the decorated apartment and Blake!  I will post pictures in the morning because I'm using one of my roommates computers to post tonight.  Besides, I need to take some new ones of our boy!  I hope everyone is enjoying the festivities of the upcoming holidays and decorating your homes for Christmas.  I miss the cold at Christmas and still have not completely warmed up to the idea that I will be in warm weather for it this year.  It will be an experience we never forget and although I miss my family and friends dearly, I know that next Christmas we will be together.  I love you all and know that we think of you all the time.  I've kind of forgotten what home and Seattle looks like a bit - I feel like I've been here so long.  It will be nice to reacquaint myself with my hometown once we return!  Happy beginning of the holiday season!

8 comments:

Mayela said...

Lara,
After reading all the news you share with us, I feel more close to you, I know that, this situation has been longer then what everybody thought, but you are an amazing, strong and wonderful person, and you will go through this with a smile. We know that you, Chris and Blake will have a wonderful Christmas together. Melina, Juan and I keep thinking and praying for you.
Hug and kiss Blake for us!
Cuidense!
Mayela, Melina and Juan

Mayela said...

Lara, reading at all the news you have, make me feel more close to you. Please keep having the same attitude (it's ok to feel frustration and everything else). We miss you and I know that your family is going to have a wonderful Christmas together. Cuidense! We will be thinking and praying for you, Chris and Blake.
Smile and kiss Blake!
Mayela, Melina and Juan

Unknown said...

Lara,
Well my sister and I have been watching your blog almost daily. Not to mention the fact that I keep emailing Michele. We are all praying for you! You are so determined and positive...keep this faith. Just know this little chapter in Blake's Life Story isn't quiet how you pictured it going but it will make for an recount one day (hopefully) real soon. I do really appreciate that you do these posts...please know we are all thinking of you. Hugs!

Yaravi said...

Hi Lara!

I'm so sorry this whole process is taking much longer than expected, but I'm glad you are able to be with Blake through it all and maintain your positive attitude. We are all thinking about you guys all the time and I love reading your posts and seeing the beautiful pictures of Blake. I wish you a wonderful Christmas. Blake is the luckiest boy ever to have you as his mommy:)

Lots of love,

Yaravi

Lori Diskin said...

Hi Lara,
Jack asks me at the end of every week, "how many more days until Mrs. Williams come home?" It amazes me how much the Kindergardeners bonded with you in the short amount of time you were together in September. Jack loves to see pictures of you and Blake and he even made an "I MISS YOU" card that he wanted me to mail! (I will save it for your return) Just know that you are in the kids thoughts and we look forward to your return in '08. Have a marvelous Christmas experience and a safe and healthy New Year.
With love,
The Diskin Family

Unknown said...

Dear Lara,
I can't even imagine the frustration you must be going through right now, but remember, Blake will be home soon and what a blessing it is for him to have you there now. Your love for him is immense and I admire your strength.
With Love,
Quyen

Rebecca and Shannon said...

Just for your info: There have been some quick resubmit outs posted on adoption.com forums lately. I hope hope hope you all join them.

Sharon said...

Lara,

I'm so sorry to hear about your previo issues! Heaven knows I can relate! ;) I think you'll enjoy Christmas there, just be forewarned- lots and lots of fireworks! Also, I cannot find your email address anywhere, but I have a GIGANTIC favor to ask. Could you please email me at sharonj78@gmail.com and I'll tell you all about it? Thanks so much! Oh, Irene says hello and can't believe how much Blake has grown!
Much Love,
Sharon, Irene, and Bella Freeman