Saturday, November 10, 2007

Not the best news - but we'll try to hang in there






So the latest with our adoption is that no one seems to know anything! Isn't that comforting?!! Our facilitators told us we'd be out of PGN last Tuesday or Wednesday (that didn't happen), then they told us for sure this last Friday (that didn't happen). Now, our facilitators tell us that our file is on the boss' desk ready to be signed to be out of PGN ONCE AGAIN and the other side is saying it could be another 2 weeks!! So, we're very frustrated right now and just don't know what to think. I think the reality is that NOBODY knows when we'll get out again so they're just making up dates. Do you notice my sense of frustration?!! Nevertheless, I am enjoying every moment with Blake and I know there is nowhere else I'd rather be. I know I've said that so many times, but it's true! Every day brings something new. A couple days ago I found myself assisting an intoxicated woman who was 3 months pregnant. Yesterday, I spent 2 hours with 3 Mayan women in the park selling jewelry and we ended up taking care of each other's babies while sitting there on a park bench. I love the way I walk by families or people walking alone and they smile back when I do and say "Buenos Dias" or "Buenas Tardes." In the states, it's not this friendly! Here are some other great things I've experienced lately or enjoy about Antigua:


1. Going to the market every day. It's like walking through Pike Place Market, but much more in depth, detailed and colorful. Every day I have to buy something new because it's such a great deal.

2. Buying $2.00 illegally reproduced DVD's (I'll probably get caught with these on my way home). I think I have a collection of 10 movies now for about $20.00.

3. Cheap imitation Abercrombie and Fitch, Lacoste, and Ralph Lauren clothing and hats. Even though they practically fall apart in the washing machine, they're still fun to buy and wear while I'm here.

4. The outside seating area with a garden, fountain and view of the volcano at McDonald's (see my pictures)>

5. Discovering that my camera has a few more interesting settings (see my new black and white or monochromatic pictures - yes I'm bored again).

6. Meeting new people every day and hearing there stories. Would you believe I met a woman who is also adopting that literally lives about 15 minutes away from my house in Washington?!!! Small world I must say.

7. Sharing adoption stories.

8. The Guatemalan children.

9. Reading a bilingual book with a little Mayan girl, Gabi, in the park. Oh how I miss my students and reading these books with them (see pictures).

10. Finding other Guatemalan babies who are bigger than Blake at a younger age (this is funny because every Guatemalan person tells me how big Blake is for his age and for a Guatemalan baby). I beg to differ when I picked up this 24 lb. 8 MONTH OLD BOY, Jose (see pictures)!

11. Buying a loaf of fresh warm banana bread literally once a week. I think it's gone in about 3 days though as I eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner it's that good.

12. Finding a Glade candle in the Target-like store in Guatemala City (this is a rarity).

13. Bargaining with street vendors. Although afterwards I feel guilty that I didn't just give them everything in my purse (I would if I could). They so badly want a sale.

14. The continuous random fireworks every other night.

15. Listening to Blake babble for a half hour while I try to wake up in the morning.
16. Watching Blake light up when a Guatemalan woman picks him up.

17. Listening to Blake laugh when I tickle him every night on the bed (he suddenly gets a burst of energy right before bed).

18. Waking up to his little hand touching mine through the netting on his Pack and Play.

19. Doing more loads of laundry than I've ever done in one week (yes, I do like doing laundry for some odd reason).

20. My roommates. They are outstanding this trip and I am so lucky to have them in my lives. They are wonderful people and make the days go by so much faster.

21. Taking our babies to McDonald's for breakfast in the morning in their pajamas and watching them play by the fountain.

1 comments:

elizabethAndIsabelle said...

Laura, I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time! I have all my fingers and toes crossed that you two will come home really soon.

I so think it's great that you're working to enjoy your time in Antigua even though it's frustrating. I remember that same feeling when we were in PGN, but you'll be out soon (I can feel it) and you'll be glad you have some good memories. I love your "favorite things" list.